For some reason I decided to make a wooden model ship of the US WW2 Fletcher class destroyer. I attribute it to reading Sea of Thunder. I used 1:350 scale like those used with some plastic models.
I looked around online for some drawings of the ship and stumbled across a picture on shipbucket.com that I liked. It seems to be gone due to some changes on photobucket’.
The drawing had some profile lines for the hull which I tried to use. I glued the profiles to the wood to aid in cutting on the bandsaw. I cut out the hull from one side, taped the pieces back together, and then cut out the top. Next, I used rasps and a sander to finish off the hull.The ship’s structure using 1/4″ thick strips. Once again, I glued the drawings to the wood to use as templates. I cut out multiple pieces to build up all the parts and used nails as the gun barrels. It turned out that making everything was the quick part. I ended up spending the next week getting all of the parts (mostly the hull) painted. I went with the Measure 22 camouflage scheme which used haze gray on horizontal surfaces and a navy blue on the top surfaces. Light gray and dark gray paints which I already had around were pretty close. Painting the hull was the hardest part of the project. It required red, black, light gray, and dark gray stripes. I masked the hull off and slowly got it painted.
I thought I’d see if it floated….nope. Well, technically it did float. It just wanted to capsize. Oh well. Maybe the Yorktown next!