Hardinge HLV Part 1

I’ve finally started to clean up my Hardinge HLV that, until now, has just been taking up space.  It’s a UK made version that I think was made in the 1950s.  It runs off of 400/440 3-phase 50 Hz just like my Fritz Werner mill.  The same power system for my mill will also work for powering the Hardinge.  I didn’t take a picture of the lathe before I started working on it but did have one from when I first stuffed it in my garage.  It hasn’t changed much since then.

The carriage and cross side were raw steel and have rusted a bit from poor storage by the previous owner.  So, I’m going to remove it all and work on cleaning it up.

On the back right side of the carriage is a oil reservoir for the way oil.  I removed the pump to find a lovely tank of sludge.  The apron also has a reservoir and it looks slightly better.  More on that in a future post though.  Obviously, this will need cleaning up too.

I stated in on the cross slide and compound by removing them.  Luckily, once the gibs were loosened up they came off pretty easily.  They were still pretty well oiled from before and there wasn’t any rust in these areas to contend with.

This compound has a quick withdrawal feature to assist in threading which really upped the parts count for it.  It came apart pretty easily though but I did notice someone has been inside of it before from some mismatched screws.

Everything got a bath and scrub in the parts washers.  I left most of it to soak except for the dials because of the plastic on them.  I’m guessing it probably wouldn’t hurt the plastic but I don’t want to take chances.  Some non-critical surfaces were cleaned up with the wire wheel but most of the parts were scrubbed with plastic brushes and 0000 steel wool.  While reassembling the quick withdrawal parts I found that it didn’t go together as easily as I would have though.  Taking a closer look I found a piece of something inside one of the parts.   It looks like a flake of metal that somehow made it inside.  It was stuck pretty good though and I couldn’t remove it with a pick.

So, it was over to the Hendey to clean it up.  I centered the part and took a few skimming passes until the flake had been removed.  It was a bit of work given the simple problem but paid off.  The parts now fit well and turned smoothly. After that, I was finally able to put the compound back together.  I noticed there were a few unfilled holes and, by comparing my compound to pictures of the same compound online, I found out I was missing a few pieces.  I’m missing a setscrew and jam nut which helps align a small brass piece inside the compound.  It looks like a copy of the setscrew I have will work fine and I’ve already picked up some set screws to modify.  The other part I’m missing is a short handle which is used to engage and disengage the quick withdrawal.  Both of these parts should be pretty easily to make.

I also cleaned up the tail stock.  It was very stiff and didn’t move well.  After removing the handle and screw, I was able to get it unstuck using a lot of oil and a plastic hammer.   Once I freed it up the tube still wouldn’t come out because of the nut inside.  To remove the tube you should push it all the way in and rotate it CCW (from the handle side).  This should allow the nut to come out but I wasn’t that lucky.

After messing with it for a while I realized that the nut had been split.  This expanded it just enough to hangup and not come out.  This is unfortunate and will require a new nut.  To remove it, I had to drill the nut out until it was thin enough to break allowing its removal.

With it apart everything got the soak and scrub routine again before being reassembled.  The tail stock was missing a woodruff key, washer, and nut for the handle.

That’s all for now.  Next time I’ll delve into the apron.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Restoration, Tools and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s