The vertical milling machine I bought a while back came with a vise. The vise on it was a Starrett No. 1026. While I was cleaning up the mill, I set the vise off to the side. I finally decided to clean it up today since I hope to have the mill running sometime soon. It’s a basic old style milling vise and has 6″ jaws. As you can see, it’s fairly dirty and rusty.
Taking it apart was pretty easy. The first step is to remove the jaw pads. They are removed by taking out the two screws that hold each in. Next, the the steel plate that the movable jaw rides on has to be removed. It is held down by six screws: two at each end and two in the middle. The movable jaw has to be opened all the way to get to the center set of screws. There should be a collar on the other end of the screw which holds it in place and it must be removed next. It was missing on mine. Now that the screw is free, the movable jaw can be slid forward to allow removal of the plate and jaw. Finally, flip the plate and jaw over to remove the four screws to separate the jaw and plate.
I took the base of the vise over to the hose and proceeded to wash it with some purple cleaner. A bit of scrubbing showed that most of the paint was still there. I’d considered repainting the vise but decided to put it off.
I cleaned up all of the other parts with some steel wool, oil, and additional scrubbing. Most of the grime and rust came off. The raw steel surfaces are still stained but feel smooth to the touch.
Since my vise was missing the collar on the screw, I went over to the lathe and made one. I’ll skip pics showing it being made and show the final result. I’ll need to put a set screw in it and will do that later once I have the mill up and running. It’ll probably be the first job I do on it.
With all the parts cleaned up, I put a layer of oil on everything and reassembled it.
Now it goes back under the bench while I finish the electrical circuit that will power the mill.