Free Planter

I have a few small citrus plants that I’ve been needing to move into larger containers.  Large store bought containers are pretty expensive and even building one yourself can run over $20 if you use new lumber.  As I was driving to Gill’s today, I noticed someone had replaced their fence and put the old panels out by the curb.  They’d even stacked the 4x4s out there.  I wondered if I could make use of them and decided I could tear them apart to make some free planters.

The panels weren’t that wide which made them easy to load in the back of my truck.  Once I had them in my backyard, I set forth separating the different pieces with my pry bar and claw hammer.

P1

Pretty soon I had a stack of fence pickets.  You have to be gentle with the pickets as they’re apt to split along the grain due to their age.

P2

My current containers have a diameter of 22″ and are about 12″ deep.  I decided to make the new one larger at 30″ x 30″ x 24″.  I cut the 4x4s into four 24″ pieces and the cut the pickets to 30″.  At this sizing I needed four picket sections per side of my box.

P3With the pieces cut, I started assembly.  I normally use screws but think that nails will work fine for this.  I also had a box of 2″ nails sitting around that needed to be used.  I positioned the picket sections on the 4x4s using the framing square to keep everything straight.

P4

After a lot of nailing I had two sides completed.

P5

I placed the side panels on edge and started nailing picket sections on.  Once one side is done, gently flip it over, and finish off the last side.  I didn’t put a bottom on the planter because I don’t intend to move it.  I also don’t think, it would hold together if I tried to move it.

P6

I moved the planter into position and filled it with a mixture of dirt, sand, and peat moss.  It took quite a bit to partially fill the planter.  Next, I extracted the Meyer Lemon bush from its current container and positioned it into its new container.  Finally, I roughed up the outside surface of the root ball, filled the rest of the planter in, and watered it.

P7

I actually made two planters though only one is pictured here.  I made another one for my Key Lime bush that was 28″ x 28″ x 18″ since the plant is a little smaller than the Lemon.  Anyways, if you stumble upon some interesting “trash” you might find a useful way to re-purpose it save some money.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Projects, Woodworking. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s