In my previous post on the lathe, I’d reached the point where the lathe was running. I still had a few more things to do though. When I’d started on the lathe I set the tail stock aside since it is pretty much a separate item. It came apart easily as it was covered in gunk like the rest of the lathe.
I ran all the parts through the parts washer and then hit them with a wire wheel/cup. The parts were cleaned and then painted. I hit all of the shiny parts with a buffing wheel and they cleaned up nicely. I reassembled the tail stock and noticed that the spindle didn’t move in and out easily. I removed the main screw and mounted it between centers on my woodworking lathe. Using a dial indicated I determined that there was about 0.03″ run out on the shaft. To fix this, I took the screw over to my arbor press and straightened it. After one iteration the screw showed 0.005″ of run out which allowed the tail stock spindle to move freely.
Here it is back on the lathe. Luckily, the tail stock spindle has a #3 Morse taper instead of the hybrid Morse-Hendey taper I feared it might have. The #3 Morse taper is a standard size and arbors can easily be purchased today.
I removed the motor and the motor mount I fabbed up. I added a simple metal electrical box to cover the cord to motor wire connection. I then used double sided tape to hold the box in place in case I decide to remove it later. I also painted the motor mount black to match the rest of the lathe.
While I had the motor off I replaced the motor pulley. The old motor pulley is poorly made and allowed the belt to slip excessively. I replaced it with the gray pulley which works much better. Shown below, are both pulleys for comparison. I removed the old pulley before reinstalling the motor.
With the combination of V belt pulleys, the countershaft turns at 266 rpm. After taking measurements of the cone pulley diameters I should have spindle speeds of approximately 93, 193, 368, and 761 rpm. I measured the actual spindle rpm unloaded at 97, 193, 351, and 678 rpm. There seems to be a little slippage on the upper two speed values. I’m not sure what it slipping but I’d place my money on the V belt. Additional tension may solve this but I think the slippage can be attributed to the combination of really large and small pulleys. The belt doesn’t get a lot of contact with the small pulley since the wrap angle is small.
The first project I completed on my lathe was to turn some plugs for the two spindle oil holes in the head stock. I patterned my replacement plugs after the original ones on Chris’ lathe. They have a ball on top which flares out to a rim and then reduces to a cylinder. You can see them in the picture below the front and back tie bar contact points.
Here’s a few pictures of the finished lathe.
Overall, I feel the lathe works pretty well. There’s some backlash in the movements but that’s probably not surprising given that the lathe is around 100 years old. The nuts for the cross slide and compound are brass and I imagine they have worn instead of the screws. As such, I could probably make new nuts in the future. I may also make new half nuts as the threads show a lot of wear as well. There’s also some tightening in the cross slide as I move it in and out due to wear but so far it isn’t problematic. One of the gears on the side of the late is made of brass and seems a little loose on its shaft. When running it tends to make a ringing noise. At some point, I’d like to bore this gear out some and make a new shaft for it to run up.
Here are a couple videos of the lathe in operation. In the first video, I’m taking a light cut on some hot rolled 3/4″ steel. I’m also showing the automatic stop feature.
In this video I’m taking a little heavier cut.