Hendey Assembly: Part 4

After getting the pulleys cleaned up I remounted them on the lathe.  I also put the drum switch back on even though my motor is not able to be reversed.

H120

I figured I’d open up the motor and see how it looked inside.  The first thing I noticed was that my AC motor has brushes and a commutator.  It turns out that this is a repulsion run AC motor unlike today’s capacitor start induction motor.  When this motor runs, the brushes are always in contact.  This is a 1/3 hp motor and I may replace it in the future with a more powerful one if I see the need to.

H121

Here you can see the commutator.  The motor had open ball bearings that looked and felt pretty good.  I repacked them with new grease and reassembled the motor.

H122

As you may recall, when my lathe fell the arm that the motor sits on broke.  Looking at the pictures from before it fell, I realized that the motor arm had been broken before.  In light of that, I decided to make a new one.  I chose to make one out of wood since I’m better at working with wood right now.  I may make another one from metal at some point in the future if my design works well.

H123

The previous owner of the lathe had chained the electrical wires up but I decided to use some plastic clips to keep the wires secured.  I’m sure it wouldn’t be good to chew a live wire up with a gear.  I reused the spots where they had attached the chain.

H124

 

I ordered some belting supplies from McMaster and quickly assembled a belt.    Finally, I can run the lathe!  I started it up and ran it through the speeds and tried out the feeds.  It moves on its own…cool!  Here’s a quick video.

 

While running it I heard some awful noise coming from the area of the gear train.  I looked into it and found out that one of the gears was clashing with another.  It was moving back and forth on the shaft unintentionally.  I bounced it off the folks on Practical Machinist and a member linked to an album of his machine.  From one of the pictures, I was able to determine that I was missing a spacer.  I took a few measurements and made a replacement spacer.  It has a pin to keep it from spinning and a small hole to allow oiling of the gear.

H125

Here’s a picture of where the spacer goes on the machine.  With the spacer in place, the gear runs as it is supposed to. H126

I played a little more on the lathe and then moved it to its permanent home in my garage.  I made some dollies similar to the ones we used on Chris’ lathe.  Using my 5 ft pry bar I was able to get it moved.  I’ve mounted a light over the lathe so I can see what I’m doing.  It’s hard to see, but I’ve also hung a piece of scrap FRP on the wall behind the lathe to keep from getting oil all over the wall.  FRP is the stuff used in commercial bathrooms that cleans easily.  I figure I could use it as a textured white board too.

H127

Jut for fun, here’s a pic of me turning some aluminum.

H128

I’ve still got to finish the tail stock and take care of a few things, but for now the lathe is usable.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s