After weekends of traveling and retrieving Chris’ lathe, I was finally able to get back to working on my own lathe. While I was visiting my parents, my dad and I took a trip over to a friend of his who owns Goode Machine Works. They were able to fix the motor support arm that was cracked. I also got a tour of the facility where I was able to drool over the numerous cool machines they have! A 400 ton shear is an impressive machine. Here’s a couple pics of their handiwork. Best I can tell they heated it up and used Nickel rod to make the repair.
I proceeded to grind down the welds and prime the arm in preparation of painting it. I left the serial on it so someone can be confused about it like I am in the future.
The chain drive “tank” took a trip through the parts washer and was then painted as well. On my machine, it only supports one end of the countershaft as it had been gutted previously.
The support arm, bracket, and tensioning mechanism received the same treatment. They were hung to dry on my fancy drying rack.
When the lathe fell, the lid on top of the chain drive “tank” took damage. A chunk popped out of the side and the lid was cracked from there, through the hole, and almost to the other edge. I decided to see if I could weld it up. I’m happy to say it turned out successfully! Since the lid is cast iron, which is tricky to weld, I was concerned. I ground the crack out with a carbide burr and then welded it with some Nomacast rods since I didn’t need to do any machining on it. I ran short beads and peened them with a needle scaler while it was cooling as I’d read to do online. I don’t think anyone would mistake it for the work of a skilled welder, but after a little filler I don’t think anyone will notice.
I turned my attention to the counter shaft which held the upper cone pulley. Once I got it apart, I discovered that the pulley shown in the center of the picture below is wooden. There were also several broken screws and a drill bit in it for some reason.
This is the other half of the cone pulley. As expected it is cast iron. For several reasons, I don’t think this is the factory setup on the lathe.
I reattached the arm and brush painted it in place. It was simpler than trying to hang it some place and spray it. The cylindrical bar at the top of the arm is actually backwards in this pic.
I turned the bar around and started adding parts back on. The folks at Goode said that it wasn’t worth fixing the broken motor mount given how badly it was broken. I also realized that it was broken and missing some parts before I got the lathe. I’m going to fab something up to support the motor later on.
I used the wood lathe to clean up the upper cone pulley. This section has a fair amount scoring and the smaller pulley shown below has an odd wear pattern on it.
Here’s the wooden pulley. It also has some scoring but cleaned up well. I re-profiled it a little bit to put a slight hump in the middle of the pulley.
I’m currently waiting on paint to dry on some parts but it is definitely getting closer to running.