I traveled with Chris the other day to a small town south of Montgomery Alabama to pick up a lathe he’d found. It’s a Hendey which is the same brand as my lathe. His lathe is a fair bit bigger than mine. Mine is a 12 x 5, which means it can hold work a bit bigger than 12 inches in diameter and has a bed length of 5 ft. His, on the other hand, is a 16 x 8. From research online, it probably weighs about 3,500 lbs making it over double the weight of mine. This lathe was probably destined to goto the scrap yard which would have been a terrible waste. Hendeyman, on the Practical Machinist forum, found that this lathe was made on Aug 21 1920 and sold to a company in Montgomery, AL. It was passed around until finally ending up in the owner’s shop.
It came with a 4 jaw chuck, a knurling tool, boring bar, and a ton of taps, dies, and drill bits. It also had a home made tool holder but after a little bit of searching we managed to locate the original lantern tool holder.
The lathe had this ugly cage on it where the drive train was mounted. At the top, was a large 2HP motor. Both of the motors seen here are 3 phase motors but the lathe ran off of single phase 240V. The lower motor functions as a rotary phase converter which takes in 1 PH 240V and creates 3 PH 240V that is fed to the top motor to drive the lathe.
We removed the motors and upper cone pulley from the cage before unbolting the cage from the lathe. The cage was attached via some large bolts that went into the back of the bed and a couple smaller bolts connected it to the tie bar.
I designed and analyzed some wooden dollies which Chris built to enable us to move the lathe around. The dollies consisted of a piece of 4×6 connected a couple pieces of 4×4. They’re held together with 1/2″ bolts with the heads down. Casters are attached to the 4×4 allowing the lathe to roll. We used the engine crane to lift one end of the lathe and then slipped a dolly in place. I was a little concerned when lifting the heavier headstock end. The load was well with in the stated capability (2T) of the Harbor Freight engine crane but I was still concerned. The crane did fine though.
Once the lathe was on both dollies we rolled it to the back of the trailer. This trailer is a really cool type called a drop deck trailer. The entire deck of the trailer can be hydraulically lowered to the ground and then raised back up. We used a come along to drag the lathe up and onto the trailer. The dollies high centered on the trailer bed where the short ramp ended but we were able to nudge it along with a pry bar. Once the lathe was in place on the trailer, the bolts on the dollies were loosened allowing the center bar of the dollies to sit directly on the deck.
Honestly, it just followed us home!
Once we got back to Chris’ house we tightened the bolts on the dollies which raised the lathe back on the casters. From there we pushed it off the trailer and maneuvered it into place.
We came across one of the locals crossing the dirt road leading up to the sellers house. He seemed busy so we kept going.