Hendey Lathe Assembly: Part 2

Work continues on the lathe….

I used my woodworking lathe to clean up the lower cone pulley and the back gears shaft.  I made an arbor out of wood to mount the pieces and then worked on them at my lathe’s lowest speed.  It made the work much easier.  You can see the difference in the clean and rusty sections below.

H80

I cleaned the gear box gears one by one with a wire wheel.  Overall the gears appeared to be in great shape as there were no missing or deformed teeth.

H81

I cleaned up the smooth bars using a wire wheel but the lead screw was a lot more trouble.  I capped off the end of a 1-1/4″ PVC pipe to soak the lead screw in parts cleaner solution.  It dried out the grease on the lead screw but I still had to clean every thread with a Dremel wire wheel.  But once it was done I was able to reinstall the gears and lead screw into the gear box.  The gear box and bars were then reinstalled on the machine.  Somehow I managed to miss the end of the reverse rod but I cleaned it up after the pic.

H82

Next up was putting all the gears back on.  This went pretty smoothly since I’d numbered everything and took plenty of pics.H83

The carriage was dunked in the parts cleaner and then hit with the wire wheel.  This was followed up with a little bit of paint.

H84

I reassembled the apron and carriage next in preparation of reinstalling them.  After that was finished, I put the carriage back on the lathe, installed the plates which keep it from lifting, and put the apron back on.H86

It’s beginning to look like a lathe again!

H85

One of the things I broke when the lathe fell was a threaded rod in the taper attachment.  I’m not 100% sure what the rod does but it has to be replaced.   I ended up drilling through the rod and using a square ease out to remove the broken section.H87

I figured I’d clean up the chuck while I was cleaning everything else up.  The inside of the chuck is pretty well sealed and was clean inside.  It went to the regualr cleaning progress.  Once everything was clean I oiled, greased, and reassembled the chuck.

H88

Brass plates look nice but are time consuming to clean up. Best I can tell there’s no easy way of cleaning them.  I soaked the plate and the scrubbed it with a soft bristled brush.  Judicious scrubbing cleaned most of it up but some of the corners required the use of a dental pic.  Eventually I got it cleaned up and then used some some Brasso on it.  Much better.

H89

I got the back brass ring on the head stock fixed (it’s threads were messed up in a spot) and then reinstalled the spindle.  With it in place, the back gears and the rest of the gear train was reinstalled.  After that, covers were reinstalled.

H91

The last touch on the “main” part of the lathe was reinstalling the brass plate. Big difference from when I originally got it.

H92

At this point I could do some turning if I had an overhead line shaft.   Since I don’t, next will come repairing and cleaning up the motor arm components and tailstock.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Repair, Restoration, Tools and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s