I’ve started disassembling my Hendey metal lathe I posted about previously. For the most part disassembly has gone pretty well. The coating of grease and oil has kept the rust away. It seems to be held together with a lot of flat head machine screws and pins. I’m not going to cover every step for obvious reasons.
Up first is getting the upper pulley assembly, gear drive tank, and motor support bracket down. It was a little heavy so I used the engine crane again.
From here I could start pulling the gears off the back. All these gears take motion from the spindle and use it to rotate the lead screw and move the carriage and cross slide. You can see it’s a little dirty back here too.
More gear removal…and a dirt dobber nest.
I’m tagging a lot of the parts and sketching diagrams of how everything goes together. Mixing up the gears would be problematic.
This is the outer gear box housing. I couldn’t figure out how to get it apart when it finally occurred to me the shaft just slid out. It was stuck to the gears and I thought there was a set screw hiding somewhere.