Telescope Equatorial Mount part 4.1

I made some improvements to the drive. I went by the hardware store and found a grounding pipe clamp. It has a machine screw coming out of the top of the clamp perpendicular to the direction the pipe would go. I replaced the machine screw with a bolt and cut a washer to act as the pin for the drive. I also attached the aluminum piece to the carriage more securely and took a little of the play out of the drive bolt.

This time tracking was much better. I was able to track Altair and Uranus after waiting a bit for the slack to be removed. The drive bolt and housing all flex some under load which is still causing me issues.  I’ll turn my attention to getting rid of the flex next.

Here’s a picture of the drive with the upgrades.

EQ4-4

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Astronomy, Projects, Woodworking and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s