Saturn V: Interstage Ring

I got back to working on my Saturn V model tonight.  This time I worked on the ring between the first and second stages that I’m calling the Interstage Ring.  All in all, it’s a pretty simple piece.

Here’s the picture showing where the piece is located on the real rocket.

IR0

 

As always, I start with a block of laminated pine.

IR1

 

I roughed it into a cylinder and brought it down to a slightly oversized.  I made a tenon at one end to go into the chuck.  I then used the skew chisel for some finishing passes.  It worked great and left a smooth surface.  I’m still a little apprehensive using the the skew but didn’t have any issues.

IR2

 

The ring needs to be pretty thin near the top to fit onto the second stage and the entire ring must be hollow to clear the nozzles of the second stage.  To do this required turning the part around several times on the lathe.  First, I drilled the largest hole I could using a Forstner bit to about three quarters depth of the piece.

IR3

 

Next, I hogged the inside out and focused on getting the right thickness at the end of the piece to snuggly fit the second stage.  To get the size correct, I used some calipers.

IR4

 

I cleaned up the inside a little more and then flipped the part over.  I used the Forstner bit again to drill through the piece.

IR5

 

Here’s the piece after drilling.  The inside dimension of this end isn’t critical but does need to be large enough to clear the nozzles.

IR6

 

 

I flipped the part over a final time and made some passes to clean up the inside.  After that I did some light sanding.

IR7

 

Looks like it fits pretty well.IR8

 

Here it is in the stack with the rest of the rocket.  It doesn’t add much to the height.

IR9

 

Up next is the first stage.  I’ve been putting it off some because I’m not sure how I’m going to make the four conical fairings that are on the bottom of the stage.  They’ll have to be made as separate pieces and then glued on.  Ideally I’d like to make them out of wood.  I just haven’t figured out a way to make the inside surface of the conical pieces fit the diameter of the stage body.  If anyone has thoughts, please comment.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Projects, Woodworking. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s