Hand Cranked Grinder: Clean Up

It’s clean up time on the Hand Cranked Grinder.  For the most part I did the same steps on each of the parts.  I’ll show each step but on different parts to keep it from being redundant.  The first step in my cleanup process is electrolysis which I’m sure everyone saw coming.  You really can’t beat it though.  It’s effective, cheap, safe to the part being cleaned, and non-toxic!  Here is a pic of the large gear right at the start of cleaning it in the electrolysis bucket.  Pretty soon the water in the bucket will be an opaque brown due to the rust being removed.

When the part comes out of the tank it usually has a coat of black “gunk” on it.  The black “gunk” is actually a mixture of iron metal and magnetite if you’re really curious.  It can be washed off, wiped off, or cleaned off with a wire brush/wheel.  This time though I got a weird mixture of gold and green.  I have no idea what it is and figure it must have been on the housing originally.  Here is the housing after I pulled it from the tank.

Here’s an exciting action picture of me using the wire wheel on my drill press.  The key is to use a light touch with the wire wheel or you can scratch the surface of the part.  The wire wheel makes quick work of this step.

Here is an image of the handle axle showing the effects of wire wheeling.  In the middle raised section I’ve used the wire wheel on the right side and bottom. The left side is how it looked straight from the electrolysis tank.  Clean metal is much better than tarnished metal!

It’s important to get some kind of coating on the parts quickly or it’ll instantly start rusting.  Electrolysis leaves the surface, where rust was, very porous which is very inviting to rust.  Depending on how you want to finish it affects the next step.  For the Grinder I’m just going to put a layer of oil and wax on it.  If you’re going to paint the part you’ll want to wipe it down with paint thinner and prime it quickly.  Here is a picture of the oiled housing.   Some of the green is still seen in the flash but doesn’t show up in person.  I’m not concerned though.

Finally, here’s a picture of all the parts cleaned up.  Each of the metal parts went through the electrolysis, wire wheel, and oil steps mentioned above.  For the wooden handle I glued up some of the cracks with CA and applied a coat of Boiled Linseed Oil.   Notice that the tool rest (L shaped piece) came in!  The square headed screw is still rusty since I’m not using it again.

I’ll post on reassembly tomorrow.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Restoration, Tools. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s